Steal This Recipe®: Whole Sea Bass with Orange Butter, Fennel and Rocket Salad Recipe from Gary Durrant, Head Chef at Hunter 486
Looking for a great seafood recipe?
Gary Durrant shares his recipe for Whole Sea Bass with Orange Butter. This dish features on the menu at Hunter 486, the stylish restaurant within five-star boutique hotel The Arch London.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 whole Seabass descaled and gutted (approx 400g each)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 lemon
- 125g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp Maldon sea salt
- Black pepper
- 70ml white wine
- Zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- Season the inside of the fish and place crushed garlic, fennel and ½ lemon inside.
- Take a piece of strong kitchen foil (roughly 35cm square) and brush well with oil and a little butter.
- Season one side of the fish with the sea salt and black pepper and place on the foil. Season the other side and sprinkle over the fennel seeds, white wine and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Scrunch up the sides of the foil to form a well sealed parcel and cook in the oven at 220-240°C for 20 minutes.
- To make the orange butter add the zest and orange juice to the soft butter, roll in cling film to form a cylinder and refrigerate until needed.
- When the fish is cooked, gently open the parcel and place the fish with all the juices onto plates. Top with a slice of the orange butter and sprinkle over some fennel fronds.
- Serve with a salad of shaved fennel and rocket.
About Chef Gary Durrant: Gary Durrantis a classically trained chef with years of experience in exceptional high-end dining, Gary spent the first ten years of his career honing his skills at the world-famous Savoy, before moving on to work in several Michelin star kitchens in both France and London.
Gary’s philosophy is to create modern, light food which interprets the refined methods of classical French cooking in a contemporary way. Ingredients are treated with respect to let the flavours of fine produce speak for themselves. Each dish on the menu is beautifully cooked and prepared in an unfussy way, with a strong focus on cooking with the seasons.
Named after the 1950s dialling code for Marylebone, Hunter 486 is the stylish restaurant within five-star boutique hotel The Arch London. Hunter 486 has been designed with an air of nostalgic London glamour fused with contemporary touches.
Hunter 486, The Arch London, 50 Great Cumberland Place, Marble Arch, London W1H7FD