Here are SupermarketGuru’s top tips for making sure your resolution is sustainable.
The New Year marks the time for resolutions, celebration, and for many people, the time to finally vow to exercise more, lose weight, and take better care of yourself. Unfortunately, New Year’s resolutions focused on adopting healthy behaviors are often abandoned after a few weeks. In order for your New Year’s resolution to be successful, you need to take a step back, take a look at what your plan is, and remember that consistency and common sense are key.
What does SupermarketGuru mean by common sense? Well, whether you're looking at a Paleo, vegan, or clean eating plan, there are certain things you need to ask yourself before you start. Here are 10 things to consider before you start your new food regiment:
1. Does it make sense? Yes, it’s that simple… does what you are committing to make common sense. Take a minute and think about it!
2. Are you doing it for health or cosmetic reasons. Often times when we make changes for health reasons our cosmetic desires change for the better. Our skin glows, our hair is thicker and shinier – we are healthier from the inside out and it shows. Choose health and your cosmetic desires will follow.
3. Do you know your baseline? Have you had lab work done? Get a baseline, know what you need to work on - create tangible goals. Comparing labwork while you are on your health journey also helps you see concrete improvements to your health. It’s motivating to know that all your willpower and hard work is really paying off!
4. Is it too good to be true? Is the diet or exercise program you are committing to, sound too good to be true? Does it pass the common sense test? Take a minute and ask yourself these questions.
5. Is there strong evidence that it works and continues to work over the long run?
6. Is there a possibility for harm? If there is… it might not be worth it.
7. Is it better than the alternative?
8. Is your environment set up for success? Is your pantry at home, or desk at work still full of unhealthy snacks and temptations? Might be time to find a new home for these foods.
9. Is it a long term solution? Fad diets usually are just that, a short fad that fades! Make sure what you are committing to is sustainable for the long run.
10. Does it suit your personality? For example do you like the support of others? Is there a social component or buddy system?
One last think to think about... Does it include lots of produce, especially vegetables? Eating plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables adds variety, flavor, and phytonutrients to your diet. Studies have shown that eating a variety of fruits and vegetables may help to prevent certain diseases, from cancers to heart disease. Enjoying more fruits and vegetables also plays a role in weight management because they help us feel full due to their water and fiber content. Fresh produce also provides important vitamins and minerals needed to maintain good health. All healthy diets have this in common, whether its vegetarian to paleo make sure to include a variety of vegetables.
Whether you make a resolution this year or not, SupermarketGuru wishes you health and happiness in 2018!