Consumer Panel: New Years Resolutions

Articles
January 05, 2011

Consumer Panel: New Years Resolutions

Here we are in the first week of 2011- did you make a New Years resolution?

Here we are in the first week of 2011- did you make a New Years resolution? In an exclusive SupermarketGuru.com quick poll, we asked the consumer panel if they were planning on making a New Year’s resolution, specifically one that focused on food. A whopping 78 percent of respondents said they were resolving to improve their eating habits this year. Not surprisingly, 69 percent had made this resolution in the past, but only 29 percent had previously made permanent changes to their eating habits.
 
Just exactly how are consumers hoping to change their eating habits? Well, the majority say they will eat less processed foods, more foods in their original form, less sugar, and will eat lighter at night. The desires to feel better, look better, lose weight and be more alert and energetic are sited most often in prompting the need for behavior change. 
 
Half say they will exercise more, while one fifth say they will be teaming up with someone to help spur them on. Retailers take note, 15 percent say they will seek guidance from web, TV, print or radio - here’s your chance to support your shoppers in the store’s circular and with in-store promotions, and 43 percent say they will go to the store more often to buy fresh foods to help them eat more healthfully.  
 
A whopping 63 percent say they think they have either a high or pretty good chance of success, but that still leaves 37 percent of consumers who could use an extra boost and support from their local retailers.  Support your customers by helping them kick start the year happy and healthfully!