It takes consumer-recognized innovation to break through the new products clutter. Nearly two-dozen new branded items won a national shopper vote.
Few new products stand out among the thousands brought to the marketplace each year - with the potential to drive retail category growth and brand share advances.
Especially in this post-recession period, CPG leaders seek differentiating innovations that motivate buyers who are open to look beyond price for benefits such as quality, convenience and ease of use, health or sustainability. “Consumer packaged goods continue to demonstrate a need for the market to create products that enhance both consumer confidence and product loyalty,” said Colleen Kelly, managing director, Product of the Year USA.
At an awards dinner in New York City last night, winners of the third annual Product of the Year USA competition were:
• Personal Care: Speed Stick and Lady Speed Stick Stainguard Antiperspirant Deodorant (Colgate-Palmolive)
• Toothpaste: Aquafresh Iso-Active Whitening (Glaxosmithkline)
• Mouthwash: Listerine Zero (Johnson & Johnson)
• Feminine Products: U by Kotex (Kimberly-Clark)
• Cosmetics: MD Lash Factor Eyelash Conditioner (La Canada Ventures)
• Pet Food: Temptations MixUps (Mars Petcare US)
• Cooking Spices: Recipe Inspirations (McCormick)
• Candy & Snacks: M&M’s Pretzel Chocolate Candies (Mars Chocolate North America)
• Frozen Food: Lean Cuisine Market Creations (Nestle USA)
• Beverage: Lipton Brisk (Pepsi-Lipton Partnership)
• Hair Care: Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions (Procter & Gamble)
• Hair Styling: Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions Stylers & Treatments (Procter & Gamble)
• Baby Care: Pampers Cruisers & Swaddlers (Procter & Gamble)
• Male Grooming: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor (Procter & Gamble)
• Air Care: Air Wick Air Freshener (Reckitt Benckiser)
• Personal Hygiene: Lysol Healthy Touch No-Touch Hand Soap System (Reckitt Benckiser)
• Breakfast: Jimmy Dean Hearty Sausage Crumbles (Sara Lee)
• Cooking: Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil (Sovena USA)
• Insecticide: Raid Max Bug Barrier (S.C. Johnson & Co.)
• Pet Health: Greenies JointCare Treats (Nutro)
• At Home Beauty Treatment: no!no! Hair 8800 (Radiancy)
• Specialty Foods: Buitoni Riserva Frozen Complete Meals for Two (Nestle USA)
These products won on the basis of votes by 60,000 U.S. consumers. Globally, the Product of the Year competition was established 23 years ago in France, and currently operates in 28 countries.