Making sure protein is part of your snacking routine is key to a successful snack. Find out SupermarketGuru's top options here
Protein is key to a successful snack, it helps keep you fueled, is satisfying and provides healthy vitamins and minerals. Here are SupermarketGuru’s top five protein rich snack suggestions you can share with your shoppers through signage and sampling:
1. Looking for something savory? Try low-fat cottage cheese sprinkled with your favorite seasonings like chili pepper, pepper, or Italian spices, or serve with a circle of pineapple, chopped pears or apples, or a small handful of green or red grapes. Cottage cheese is one of the richest sources of protein the in dairy department and as you can see can be enjoyed both sweet and savory. In the produce department, make sure to shop for what’s in season, it’s more delicious and nutritious, your body will thank you.
2. Yogurt, cheese and more dairy. Other good protein rich dairy choices are 4 ounces of plain yogurt (add your own fruit, nuts or other toppings), one to two ounces of cheddar cheese with apples or a thick slice of mozzarella with a slice of fresh tomato either with a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar and olive or with a few leaves of fresh basil.
Some other great protein rich dairy snacks include a small bottle of kefir or mozzarella string cheese.
3. Make a smoothie! Blend seasonal fruit, veggies, and even frozen berries with protein rich nuts, yogurt or a scoop of protein powder. The fiber from the veggies and fruit will keep you feeling full and the protein will have you fueled until your next meal. The blender is also a great tool for freshly made vegetable juices. Use it for blending leftover veggies or use fresh ones with water or add a little vegetable or chicken stock, blend, heat and serve as a pureed soup or hot drink – add some sliced chicken or beans for a protein kick!
4. Crudités aren't just for cocktail parties. Cut up stalks of celery, buy some baby peeled carrots, slice some colorful bell peppers (red, yellow, green or purple) and dive in. Lightly blanched cauliflower or broccoli florets are also delicious for snacking. Pair with protein rich hummus, cheese, or even a hard-boiled egg... the perfect protein!
5. Go nuts and nut butters! Nuts and nut butters are excellent sources of protein, healthy fats, minerals, and vitamins. Small quantities of raisins or currants, nuts (pistachios, cashews, almonds, walnuts) or a home-made trail mix of dried fruit and nuts and seeds (pumpkin, sunflower) are delicious and filling.
Peanut, almond, sunflower and other nut butters aren’t just for sandwiches. Slather sliced apples, bananas, or fill celery stalks, or add it to delicious whole grain crackers.
There you have it, the top five protein snacks and then some! Start paying more attention to your snacks and making sure to include a protein rich option; your energy and mood will soar!