We want you to have a happy and safe Fourth of July, so before you fire up those grills, take a look at these safety tips.
Here are some top tips for safe grilling:
- Never use a grill indoors. Use the grill at least 10 feet away from your house or any building.
- Do not use the grill in a garage, breezeway, carport, porch, under an awning or any covering that can catch fire.
- Never leave the grill unattended, especially when small children and pets are present.
- Be cautious of overhead obstructions, including tree branches, while grilling.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy when grilling and know how to use it.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions that accompany the grill.
Gas Grill Safety Tips
- Check the tubes leading into the burner for any blockage from insects, spiders, or grease. Use a pipe cleaner or wire to clear blockage and push it thorough to the main part of the burner.
- Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure there are no kinks in the hose or tubing.
- Replace scratched or frayed hose connectors, which can eventually leak gas.
- Check for gas leaks, following the manufacturer's instructions, if you smell gas or when you reconnect the grill to the propane tank.
- Keep lit cigarettes, or open flames away from a leaking grill.
- Do not attempt to repair the tank valve or the appliance yourself. Take it to your local home improvement store, hardware store or a qualified appliance repairperson.
- You should use caution when storing your propane tank. Always keep the containers upright. Never store a spare tank under or near the grill or indoors. Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
- Be sure your propane tank has an over-fill prevention device.
- Never keep a filled tank in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
- You should use extreme caution and always follow the manufacturer's instructions when connecting or disconnecting a propane tank to your grill.
Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
- Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided. Since charcoal produces carbon monoxide fumes, do not store the grill indoors until the charcoal is completely extinguished.
- Never use gasoline or kerosene to light a charcoal fire. Both can explode.
- Never attempt to restart the flame by adding additional lighting fluid to an already lit grill.
- Keep a spray bottle of water nearby to handle flare-ups while grilling.
- Be sure to place your grill on a flat, level surface so it won't tip over.
- Wait until the coals have completely cooled (may take a few hours) before disposing of them.
- Remember, coals get HOT -- up to 1000 degrees F. Use insulated, flame-retardant mitts when cooking or handling any part of the grill. Also use long-handled barbecue tongs and utensils for safe handling of food and coals.
Click here for more information about the National Safety Council and its programs.